Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wrist rehab day 16

This is about today.
Today we saw the sunset from the highest best freshest location around. It was great. I ran all the way up the steps.
Running! Yes.

Threw around with people, it was niiice. Verdict: my throws have touch (thank goodness) but my form is rusty and thus many throws are inaccurate.

How to fix the problems:
backhands - focus on balance, straight back, knees bent, low center of gravity. Not too much is wrong with the backhands.

Forehands: a lot of forehands I threw today either went too high or airbounced. Again, lower center of gravity, gotta get full body mechanics back behind throws and work on the throwing motion as one plane. Also forehand motion is tentative because of the wrist, I have a hard time putting the neccesary power in because it feels like it will hurt a lot even though it won't. It barely hurt at all today which is AWESOME and a good sign. The tentativeness leads to throws that get all their power from the wrist snap and don't engage the body.

That's ironic.

Did a few layouts, every year I say I will learn to layout for real, maybe this will be the year. I figured out how to land on my chest, legs in the air, arms up. That's a big step in the right direction.

Anyway, after my throwing partners got cold I hucked it around a little bid in the pasture. All but one throw went much farther than yesterday, probably had a couple in the 70 - 80 range. In other words, solid pulls if it ain't windy.
It was not windy.

I had an idea for a light throwing workout, simple really, just grab a disc, go to the field and pull it then sprint to the opposite endzone and then repeat as many times as you want. Easy. Focusing on exploding after you pull is huge if like me you don't run into your pulls. Hustling down on the pull wins games and is often underrated by 'd3' teams. My best play ever was getting a Callahan of my own pull and I want to repeat that, so I'ma train for it. Plus I can do it by myself, perfect for winter break or cold days when noone wants to throw.

Whew!
That was certainly self obsessed and long winded.
Heck what are blogs for.

Had an idea for keeping track of my new years resolution. Example:

Throwing: threw with Brendan and Eli and did some hucks by myself
Running: ran around while throwing, running up like eight flights of steps

If I add that on to every post I can keep myself honest. Maybe I'll even post every day.
You'd love that right?

No comments: