Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday, friday, gotta post blogs on Friday

Dang its been a week. I thought I fixed my nocturnal sleep schedule fast, but it crept up on me all bad.
Anyway though, here's some things I've been mulling over this week.

At our last men's practice, I made some bad offensive turnovers due to poor field vision and old thinking. The same occurred at nocturnal - made some crazy throws trying to do everything on the field. The difference is, nocturnal was a hat tournament. My crazy stupid throws got us and lost us points in relatively equal measure, but in the grand scheme of things we were a hat tournament team with no chemistry, playing for ourselves.

It is important to note that the winning team, while having solid 'star power', won because their chemistry and unselfish play allowed them to take advantage of enemies weaknesses without presenting weakness of their own.

Ultimate is a team sport. If I am going to help the team suceed this year, I have to put aside the high risk gunslinger's mantle of yesteryear and embrace a philosophy of humble play and good decisions.
The discipline to dump it when the stall count gets in the 4 - 5 range. The field vision to look off a streaking deep cutter when I don't have an easy throw, or see the poach behind my mark that will destrudo the sick io break flick.

Brian talked to me about my role on the team changing, not having to make crazy throws to make the offense work. I've been preaching playing within oneself for years, now I actually have to learn to do it.

Oh and Dave, you were right about the air bounces. Working on it.

Gunx love all.

No comments: