Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The sleep of reason brings forth monsters

Hey all you hepcats out there in listening land. In an attempt at making this blag even more concise, this post will be spartan to the extreme, every detail juicy and relevant.

Thursday, Forest Fire vs Red

Red suprised us with zone and we were slow to adjust. We played with no fire in the first half and did not take enough chances. Red took half 8 - 3. Second half we came out with reknewed fire, some new strategies and a zone d of our own. We rolled to tie it at 10s. They rattled off two to make it 12 - 10, soft cap goes off, game to 13. We scored once more. They worked the disc patiently, throwing upwards of 50 passes before turning it over.

We gave it right back. They took the game, after another grueling possesion.

What went wrong: we were unprepared for the wind and were slow to adjust strategically. They played to their strengths (throws, strategic acumen, Stiggles) and we played to our weaknesses (inexperience, not throws).

In summary: I need to not be so slow to adjust our strategies. Waiting until it is too late is not a winning plan.

Monday B Team vs Moodey Blues

Close game, nearly all of our men were there. We had a hard time getting flow going. After leading for most of the game, they scored to to make it 14 - 14, then 15 - 14. After a grueling point where I managed to turn the disc twice, we scored to tie it at 15s. They held on o despite turns by both teams to take the final point after cap. 16 - 15 loss.

Two frustratingly close games. That's the meat of it, here is the fat.
On thursday, I handled for the first time in a month. My downtime and rust showed pretty clearly, throws were not confident and I turned it quite a few times, one time basically dropping the disc on an attempted forehand. Also I did not adjust our strategy until it was too late, as already mentioned. However, we did learn that our zone d is killer. Wind still kills my strategies and I need to find ways to compensate for it and by extension teach a team to do so.

Against Blue I played alright, three solid points and a bunch of points where I was a nonfactor. I was called as a mid cutter in the ho stack a few times and that is not a position I feel confident playing yet. Felt like I was clogging a lot. Also I felt like a pillar of jello. Getting in shape is imperative, as is cutting down on drinking. I'm not even drinking that much but my tolerance is at its lowest since freshmen year and it is clearly having a negative impact on my preformance. Also I missed two Ds and nearly let myself mentally check out to the point that I was scared of gaurding one of their cutters. Fuck that. Confidence. Yaheardofit?

So anyway, whatever I just wrote at least it is out of my head now. Bottom line, aside from getting in shape I need to practice throwing a lot to shake off the rust. Get low, confidence, tight grip, easy. I had two throwing turns against blue and a ton against red and even my completions do not have the confidence and zest I pride myself on.

Pulls were good today though. Word.
My blog probably needs an editor. Whatever. Hey I'm nocturnal. Should probably fix that too.
<3
Ben

No comments: