Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My body is a cage

Part 1

Today Brendan and I returned to our old stomping grounds, the high school track and football field for a sprinting workout. Four sets of three reps, distance increasing with each set. 30 seconds of rest between sets. I only managed to beat Brendan once, he said maybe twice but I pushed myself to run hard straight through every sprint. Room for improvement but I am feeling mentally tougher than ever.

Having slept for three hours the night before, the combination of a workout in the afternoon and a game this evening is a reasonable approximation of a tournament post all-nighter/party/all night party. Not that I am training for that particular scenario, but the bottom line is when the chips are down you have to be able to push your hardest no matter how fatigued you are, no matter what reason why.

We're playing black today, the only undefeated team in the league. Believe me we'll be taking shots. A+ Game time baby.
Whoo.


Part 2

I need to make some serious changes in my life, effective immediately. Work starts in three days and if I am not on top of my game it will get messy.

Key points:
-Drink water and eat healthy: I am not drinking enough water and my meal schedule is dicey. Also no more crap no matter how tempting it is to buy mentos and iced tea at the deli.

-Chill with partying: although I am drinking less it is still too much. Simple math. Cut it out.

-Organize life: room needs to get clean or at least organized. Need to get laundry under control, for now and also to make it easy to transition back to school.

-Drawing: I am getting a lot of sketches done, need to organize my supplies and previous work. Also, make a bitchin' contest entry for the savage jersey contest.
And last but not least...

-THROWING. I am not going to get enough touches at draft league as a cutter to keep in form. That leaves once a week handling at rec league, also not enough. Can't coast. Camp will make it hard, I will have to find my fire all summer to A practice throwing every day and B work out despite the fatigue that comes with walking up the hill a million times a day let alone my actual job. I need to get my throwing chops and full body throwing form back, but not only that I NEED to improve so that I come back to school BETTER than I was in the spring, unlike last year where I lost ground over the summer.

Achieving these goals will make for a great summer.
Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Jay Walker said...

Hey. I've been reading for a while now. What do you do when you throw everyday? Throws are a huge gaping weakness in my game and I really need to fix that.
-Jay Walker
TRUDGE #80