Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Me and my big mouth and swollen nose

After a close first half we sat on a 8 - 6 lead. Lots of trading on O. We were up a break until I threw it away, then we went up a break again to take half. Yay defense.

Second half we continued to cruise, but hit our high water mark at 12. They scored 4 straight to take it capped at 14 - 12, after we basically gave them the disc three points in a row. Rough game.

High point: Catching a blade huck for a goal despite being elbowed hard in the nose by my defender while jumping.
Low point: we lost.

Why? Despite generally good defense and savvy defensive adjustments (if marking correctly to prevent breaks is all that savvy, I really need to stop getting broken on backhands) we continued to throw into poaches. It was rough having 9 people on such a hot day against such a strong team but honestly that was not the reason. We had the game in the bag and decided to let it out.

I got some sound cutting advice from a guy on my team, he called me out on making looong deep cuts and then looong cuts back in if I do not get open, leading to telegraphs, clogging and wasted energy. I will work on setting up my cuts at more appropriate times (when the huckers have the disc for instance) and saving energy and making shorter and/or smarter cuts at full momentum every time.

Two throwing turns and a dropped huck. Three goals caught. Two poach D's. Many more D opportunities missed. One assist that was a pretty terrible throw, totally goofy breakmark airbounce thing. It worked but eh. Rob showed up to chill and watch. Awesome. He gives good hugs.

Onward into the future.

No comments: