Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Frankenstien can play again

So. Happy.

Two draft league games under the belt so far and it feels great.

Monday

B-Team vs Orange

Ken Dobyns was not there, sadly. Showed up late, missed the first half by the time I was warmed up. We were down 8 - 5. Came out in the second half ready to bring it on d, and between that and not turning the disc we pretty much rolled, winning 15 - 12. Sweet. Turned the disc once, on a bad forehand huck. The intended reciever had a good 20 yard lead but I threw it too high and it bladed out of reach. Tom would have caught it.

My throws in general were a little dicey, basically just need to shake off a month's worth of rust and get my body mechanics in sync again. On that note, pulled it three times, the first an OB laser, the second two in bounds lasers that went pretty far but had no height. Lower body son, ya heard of it? Get low get low get low and all that. Also, confidence in short throws. Caught two goals, sweet. A girl on my team realized that throwing hammers to tall people is hilarious and mostly works. Diggin' it.

Wednesday

B-Team vs Chocolate

Chocolate only had two women so they had to play 6 on 7 the entire game. We ran a couple of different poachy zones, mostly I got to be last back and do very little on defense except run back and forth to discourage hucking. We beat them pretty handily, they were a person down sure but a win is a win. Caught two goals and threw three assists (plus three goals in post-game pickup lololol). Pulled it three times. One was big but OB, the second was a deep laser and the third was pretty nice, long, in bounds and with a lot of hangtime. Still got it, just have to focus every pull. Duh.

One turnover, another bad flick huck to a wide open reciever, threw it way too high and the defender had time to catch up and take better position. Tom would have caught it. Did not get low. Bad form. Next week my bad hucks will be for goals! Two D's, although one was thrown right to me and the other one was a deep shot that I got after it went over the intended reciever. Should have D'd it first, Tom would have caught that too.

In general, my cuts were a little sloppy and some clogging went down, although less so on wednesday. Throws need a lot of polishing, need to throw every day especially after games. Fitness likewise.

B-Team is hella sweet. The team is fun with a lot of heart. Not a lot of firepower, more emphasis on working the disc up the field honestly and intelligently. My role seems to be the bailout big guy, going deep when needed to create field space, or rather, every chance I get. It will be a harder role to play against a team with a real deep threat, so I'd better kick my ass in gear and get in shape asap.
Cool yo.

No comments: