Sunday, December 21, 2008

I am Snowbeard Icefist. I will triumph!

SNOWBEARD ICEFIST SNOWBEARD ICEFIST SNOWBEARD ICEFIST SNOWBEARD ICEFIST....

Once upon a time, back during the wily days of high school I too could layout full horizontal, at least once in a while. Not much beats the feeling right before, when your brain says "dude no way you are catching this" and then suddenly you are sprawled on the ground clutching the disc in your trembling hand, maybe bleeding in a way that makes the women swoon most awful.

Trouble is, when I got in shape I no longer needed to lay out as much to catch it on O and now I don't have the reflex. I balk at a full horizontal midair layout. I can slide like a champ and half-bid on my leg which (knock on wood) has yet to result in a serious injury. But it's only a matter of time.

So: I will learn to layout. This winter. I know the proper technique. Heck I've even taught it to other people. Today, after shoveling the driveway, I made myself bid in the snow until I could snag a disc with something like proper form. It was like old times - my first training philosophy was "if you can do it in the cold its usually easier when its not cold". That's how I learned to throw. Will it work for laying out? Time will tell. So far, so good.

SNOWBEARD ICEFIST SNOWBEARD ICEFIST SNOWBEARD ICEFIST LAYOUT!

Since Doober has "best team blogger" locked up, I wonder who will capture the elusive "hardest worker over winter break" title. We'll see when indoor practice starts. I am certainly going to put my name in for consideration.
If you are on the Gunx and are reading this, ask yourself "how hard did I train today?"
Are you satisfied?

No comments: