Saturday, December 13, 2008

Disc in a hoop?

I want to try playing dischoops if the chance should arise. Its interesting. I'm fairly ambivalent about a lot of the dischoops vs ultimate arguments that happen on RSD, but I am strongly in favor of tipping, airbrushing and self caught passes. When I first played in high school, it never made sense that such moves were not legal in ultimate. After two years of college and club experience, it still does not make much sense to be perfectly honest (alright delaying can't be allowed in ultimate because it would be impossible to legally stop. It made sense in high school because I did not understand the nuances of the travel rule. But c'mon tipping and airbrushes? That should be legal. Give me one good reason why not.).

Legalizing self caught passes would add a new and exciting dimension to the game, and tips and brushes would add to the variety of cool offensive things a player could do. Maybe its just my roots as a pickup player with marginal rulse knowlege, but nothing I've read has convinced me otherwise. Plus, there are enough videos online to prove that Crazy Frank has an arsenal of sweet throws.

The knee jerk RSD reaction to his wild theories and belligerent attacks seems to be to attack dischoops 50% of the time (statistic totally fabricated). But it really seems like a pretty interesting game, and those who mock it in arguments Frank usually come off as sort of ignorant and spiteful.

Honestly though, what am I doing reading RSD in the first place? It's bloody awful these days since C1 died down. Although I did find out that nats are in Ohio this year. I was hoping for Boston, but pretty much all hope of that happening died with the NCUA. Maybe it's just as well.

No comments: