Saturday, December 14, 2013

Sister Winter

First BFF game was really fun. Despite pre game nerves, I played pretty well. Being able to operate in the cold helps a lot. Here's some nuts and bolts.

I need to learn to clear behind when I'm on the sideline and the disc is also close to the sideline. Trying to do anything else, unless the force allows for an upline cut, is going to mess up the offensive flow, etc etc. About 40% of the time (rough estimate) I just get in the way. It was even worse last club season.

I cautiously declare the return of my forehand huck. It is looking pretty good again. Using a slight outside in curve, I can hit seperation or play for the jump ball, either way. My only backhand huck was just brutally point blocked - there was a ridiculously poached receiver and I just didn't pivot at all. That's what happens. Throwing is nice right now, other than that (pivot).

Other than the blocked backhand, my only throwing problems came when trying to hit cutters at wide angles. I'm really starting to see the benefits of the outside in curve in those kinds of situations - I overthrew, very slightly, several endzone cutters (male and female) with flat throws. When throwing at say a 30 degree angle, the disc spins away from your cutter and since that kind of catch is difficult anyway, the margin for error is very small. With even a slight outside in curve, you can make the same throw, but have it rotate toward the cutter. Even a little bit makes it an easier catch. I did that with breakmark throws all season, it only makes sense to do it with wide angle upfield shots as well.

In general, just really excited to play ultimate all winter. I've been running about five days a week, and that has helped my confidence level a lot. Trying to play the long game, eye on the prize. The Stonefish prize, that is. In attempt to get off on the right foot (hot?) I've already designed a kit for next year incorporating some of the maverick Albany dudes' ideas about caverns and whatnot. After the holidays, you all will see that. In the meantime, I'ma keep throwing. No reason to not be great next season.

Dah, comrade.



No comments: