Monday, November 25, 2013

Sin Eater

Being employed is very nice. Gunxgiving was also very nice, and I am still basking in the glow of the delightful confluence of activities that have made this last week amazing. Despite working a late shift today, I was able to get a good forty minutes of ultimate in, twenty minutes of throwing reps and twenty minutes (maybe nine or ten points?) of 4v4 pickup. Jack Frost's iron cold hand may have scattered pickup attendees to the four winds, but I had a lot of fun getting in upwind huck reps and running wild in the pickup game despite playing in work clothes (featuring sneakers and jeans, won't catch me without my cleats again no matter how cold it is or how late I'm working).

My forehand huck is still tough and annoying but it is starting to take a better shape. My other throws were very good for the most part, although I threw a few backhands way too OI. Pants had something to do with this. A big part of my backhand release is the leg movement. I think maybe that's what I am missing from my forehands, the syncronized foot to hip to core jerk that allows low, powerful throws with a flat shape. Pants don't exactly help with that. Strangely, I had the most trouble with downwind throws. My upwind backhand is working overtime. I think this was also true during the alumni game, but it is hard to remember. Need to remember to ask Brett about throwing angles and wind. 

Feeling pretty good about defense right now. Part of it is the false confidence of playing less competitive ultimate than we did all summer, but part of it is that I am finding myself able to consciously assess my mark in relation to the disc and defensive scheme in a far more lucid way than I've ever been able to before. We'll see where this goes. Head has been pretty clear lately, despite the Gunxgiving after party. 

I've never been able to keep an anolog workout journal going for more than two or three months. Maybe doing it on the blog will work? So today: in addition to the aformentioned pickup I ran a lot to and from trains, around train stations, and a little bit in the neighborhood.Spent about a half hour throughout the day working on basketball shooting technique, which so far has made my throwing grip feel a lot stronger. Not really a structured workout day, but this log has to start somewhere. 

Also I switched my forehand grip back to having my thumb on the flight rings. That has helped. 

I'm going to do fifty lat pulls for every cockroach I kill in the apartment. Being at war with an entire species sucks. I'm not good at hating animals just for doing their thing, but they need to get out of my apartment. Hopefully by tying their individual destruction to a workout activity (that I need, as anyone who has seen my entirly conical torso can attest) I can release some of their energy back into the world in a postive way. Or something. Killing makes me upset. The werewolf sheds a single tear, lurching through the woods, etc etc. 

Winter league starts next week. I will eat winter's blood. 
Get fit or die trying. 




No comments: