Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Duck

Finally got back to Mcarren for some pickup fun. It was a bit cold out, and windy. There was a lot of the kind of tentative ultimate that gets played among strangers when throwing upwind and catching become difficult. I hit the ground a lot, which I've been regretting since. Turf burn everywhere. I love ultimate on turf but it has its price, and that price is walking around with a carpet of turf in my sneakers, wincing when my jeans brush against my ripped up knees and thighs. Ya'll know what I'm saying. Made a couple of cool catches, though.

My short game was pretty on point, but I did not get to display it too much because I started out trying to cut and alleviate the glut of handlers that this pickup games seems to produce. Everyone wants to stay back and noone wants to do the heavy lifting as a cutter. Its pickup, okay. Initially I tried some forehand hucks, revealing that my form is really busted. Nothing shows bad form like a really tough wind, and this wind was brutal. Variable force and direction made for a gamble every time, no way to really get comfortable. My forehand needs a lot of work. On the upside, when I allowed myself to get comfortable and fall in to a rhythm, my short game looked really good, including some good io flicks and break backhands. Solid work. Backhand huck looked good, pulls were inconsistent.

Throwing was not helped by a play I made fairly early on, bidding for a disc not worth bidding for, and catching my hand in some kind of pocket in the turf. Its like the turf went to school and ripped the knee of its jeans playing kickball, and had to get a turf patch sown on. I have no idea what the functional utility of these turf patches are, but they are all over the Mcarren field. I made a sliding bid and caught my hand in one. I am expecting to be better in time for open practice. I can throw as is, but at a frustratingly limited capacity given the huck work I've been putting in. Maybe this is a sign from the universe to emphasize my short game.


No comments: