Monday, November 4, 2013

Bo-Bandy

Went out with a stack of plastic with the goal of 100 backhand hucks, or 77 to be cute. First set of ten was okay, lots of different shapes but an average of 55 yards, all falling within the bounds of a hypothetical field. Distance improved from there, but things are kind of wonky. Threw in a few forehands for variety, and my forehand has a much better shape overall, and is more game ready at the moment. I'm worried I'm releasing it a bit high, but it will be a much quicker fix than the backhand. My backhand is suffering from foot dragging, high release points, and lack of aim. It seems to work best when I get really low and drive form the core for more of a laser shape than I'm used to. My core is strong. Boom. Lots of work to do.

Celebrated Ken Dobyns' recent birthday by shanking my commemorative KD HOF disc into the trees, killed a lot of fleeting daylight trying to find it in the bushes. Eventually just grabbed my spare disc and kept on. While watching the flight path of a big OI looper, I saw that the KD disc was stuck about 12 feet up in a tree right above where I was looking for it in the stream.

It was like a moment in the Neverhood where you finally complete the inane action that triggers a cut scene that pans out and shows how everything fits together. Anyway, I managed to hit the KD disc with one of my next throws. On accident! I'm apparently throwing a very consistent looper. That disc bounced off, and got caught in the same tree. I'm getting them down tomorrow, by this point it was practically dark and I'm not looking to twist an ankle messing around in the stream. I called it a day, 60 hucks to noone on the books, not too shabby.

The takeaway of all this? Throwing daily increases my happiness level a thousandfold, and it will take a lot of work to get my throws where I want them for next season. Also, its interesting to note that my best looking throws were with a pull run up. Not just distance wise, but the shape was better. I threw probably three times as many backhand pulls as backhand hucks this season, so that makes sense. Its just weird.

The KD disc looking spooky in a tree, the other disc is blue and refused to show up on camera

No comments: