Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Dear Diary

It has been difficult to write about ultimate this summer and I am overdue for a personal inventory. My performance in August was 50/50. I have steadily improved the technical issues plaguing my game at the beginning of the summer, with only one drop at NY Invite (and none at the last practice that I can remember...").

My mental game has been incredibly inconsistent. When I am focused, I have been able to get open for dumps (and clear for the other handlers) and play defense far more consistently than I have ever been able to before. When I am unfocused, I have had bad defensive miscues, clog the cutting lanes or occasionally wander upfield. 

That's just it. I'm either playing with my eyes closed or open. When I can focus and see the field, things go pretty well. So my goal for practice this weekend is to play focused, play my role, and cut intelligently in the handler spot. That done, everything else takes care of itself. The cutters are there. And if they're not, we reset until they are. This team is sweet. 

The other thing is, when I'm off the field I need to stop focusing inward on my own mistakes or whatever, and just work on getting people fired up, or focused, or wherever else we need to go. Captain stuff. 

Oh yeah also slowing down my pace. I play frantic when I'm unfocused, and vice versa. Just relax man. Ain't for nothing that hippies took a liking to this game before the rest of us. 

Responsibility List:
On Field: 
Eyes open
Catch the pull 
Advance, reset and center the disc 
Call the offense 
Etc Etc

Off field: 
Be a leader 
Don't overthink it 
Be positive and direct 

I don't know what the future holds but one of my goals is to end this ultimate season in such a way that it is a memory I can cherish for the entire off season. What else is there? Maybe I'll get a custom layout for the blog. Maybe I'll stop writing about ultimate. I always have difficulty with ideas to big, setting goals too wild and outlandish, running my mouth and writing checks that I can't possibly cash. I probably won't stop, but nonetheless another goal is to live in the moment and just like, exist you know?

Goodnight blog friends. Thanks for reading. 

No comments: