Monday, September 16, 2013

Absolution

Stonefish takes third at sectionals, advances. Yes.

We had slow starts at tournaments, finding our feet before gaining confidence later in the day, leading to some losses to teams who lost to teams, that we beat later on. Ultimately, the regular season raised more questions than it answered. What was the significance of our close game with High Five, for instance? (no idea) Would we be able to have a strong sideline presence after several practices and tournaments with low numbers? (hell yes, it turns out!)

In the end, we did enough chemistry work that when we assembled everyone on the same field, things fell into place and we played very strong ultimate all weekend. Our sideline was supportive and positive, and our energy was very good all weekend. It felt so good to qualify, after many years of playing with these dudes in various forms. A lot of old ghosts were put to rest, and we've earned two more weeks of Stonefish, and a much stronger position for next year. I'll write more about it at a later date, maybe.

For my part, I'm finally starting to understand how to play as a handler when you are not trying to get the disc every single play. It allowed me to calm down and see the whole field better, and I think I played my most consistent and successful tournament of the season. I want to be better next year, and our success as a team is a great motivator.

Next mission is to find some pickup this week so I can get some reps in before regionals. I did not throw enough this season, so my throws were sloppy. I did not run enough, so I was not in good enough shape. This is very simple math. I can be a better player if I force myself to be. Easy. Hard. Life.

Seeya, blog friends.




No comments: