Friday, November 26, 2010

On the second day of blag-mass, my true love gave to me

Egoism and the constant quest for self improvement and a fat goose in a pear tree!
Let's get down to the details

Forehand
The good: can release form any height, can break the mark oi, can huck full field when neccesary
The bad: method of release as well as sheer percenatge of forehands thrown vs backhands has stilted my form in a way that I often telegraph, leading to five point blocks in the fall season.
The ugly: Changing my throwing stance to not telegraph forehands will take work but it will pay off and will necessitate quicker release moves as well, a bonus. Getting in better shape will make hucks bigger, and learning to isolate the shoulder will lead to more control and longer throws, as well as more options. Forehand can and should grow in every dimension by sectionals, practice throwing yo!

Backhand
The good: backhand hucks are the biggest ever, backhand pulls off the chain when I am fresh or amped
The bad: Short backhand form is not solid, pulls get bad with fatigue, hucks at Marist were very OI.
The ugly: Lunges and form practice to get short backhand together, getting in better shape should fix pull problems, as will mental focus every. single. pull. Learning to get lower and break the mark with backhand hucks will yield utter domination.

Hammer
The good: looks reasonable considering lack of practice in the last two years. Most hammers in games were pretty decent.
The bad: Some were quite bad. My hammer is not precise enough and lacks depth. Just don't have the control I have with backhands and forehands.
The ugly: practice, practice, practice. And getting stronger in the gym. The hammer can be an unblockable breakmark weapon, a la Brodie Smith. Dave and Eric have hammers on lock with their respective precision lasers/giant megaton bombs, all I want is to develop a decent 40 - 50 yard utility throw/break-mark weapon/goal to Tom machine.

Thumb hammer
The good: discovered the thumber is the same as an OI flick with slight adjustments for the flight characteristics of an upside down disc. I can put some heat under the sucker! 40+ yards.
The bad: form still not tight. Sometimes not gripping hard enough leads to an early or sloppy release and lots of wobbling/gratuitous double helix.
The ugly: this throw is for real and almost game ready. After some work, it will be quick and deadly. I hope people force me backhand at Nocturnal Decisions.

Scoober
The good: I never throw them
The bad: I never throw them
The ugly: I think I can. Why not? Quick release zone weapon.

That's where throwing is at, the basics. Any given talking point could be extrapolated into a longer discussion, maybe that is a good idea. The forehand shoulder jerk is for real, laser hucks coming upwind at you.

For all throws:
Grip tighter, throw harder, quicker, faster, stronger. Focus.

See you next time for good/bad/ugly breakdown of defense and cutting, or maybe something else.
Happy black friday, drink an imperial stout.