Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Want. (College Schmollege part III?)

I can't stop thinking about almost getting a layout Callahan this past weekend. It is practically haunting me. I want that d. I want that feeling.

Thinking about it has brought up several key points for consideration.

1. Why did I not get it? I did not layout far enough. My layout form is more akin to falling than flying. Buzz Lightyear might say that is all you need to do, but I don't fly or fall with style. I just sort of flop. Falling with style needs to happen. Push harder.

2. Why can't I layout for any d, Callahan or not? Today, playing goaltimate, there were several instances where the disc flew by and my brain willed my body to 'layout!' and nothing happened. Why? Laying out is not necessarily mental. I can't just will myself to do it. It has to be more subconscious, a visceral physical reaction where I don't think about landing, don't think about losing, don't even think.

3. I will get more Ds if I run harder. Duh. I will get more Ds if I run harder. I will get more Ds if I run harder. I will get more Ds if I run harder. I will get more Ds if I run harder....

Conclusion: Laying out on D, needs to happen. I want to fly. I want to make a play and get the d and inspire the team. I'll do it.

No comments: