Sunday, February 27, 2011

I just had, the craziest week

Been a pretty busy couple of weeks actually. Nocturnal decisions came and went, yet again one of the craziest nights of ultimate of the year. Between getting to play with some good friends and meeting some of my personal ultimate heroes, it was the best year yet by fair.

For added fun, it was the most competitive year thus far, every team we played was very solid across the board. I played for the Mannequins and we were a fun intense team that did not quite have the depth to hang with the very best but ended up with a solid 5 -3 finish, somewhere between 5th and 8th in the final placement. It was a neat chance to connect with some players on other area college teams as well as play with some of my good friends.

Great times and playing the tournament revealed many weaknesses of my game that need to be dealt with. My cutting was not exactly on point and that was definitely apparent scrimmaging Marist today. The Gunx have certainly made the most of our indoor practices but my outdoor cutting is rusty to the point of hilarity. Throws obviously also an issue but not as bad as I feared.

I had more to write about nocturnal but the time elapsed between then and now and the weight of events that have transpired since have driven most of it from my mind. Rather than search for my notes I'll leave it it, I learned a lot, it was a blast. As for today, what can I say? Gunx beat Marist, one out of three scrimmages. Gunx came very close to winning two out of three but could not quite go for the throat at the crucial time. Gunx beat Marist for the first time in three years and it would be remiss not to mention how large of weight that is off my back.

We have a long way to go but if today was any indication we can fly as high as we want to this season. Our offense was the best it has ever been, even missing some key players. We have the capacity to be very great, if people put the time in this will be an incredible season, enough said.

Indoor practice is always tricky but this year it taught me to be a better handler. while my cutting was mediocre at best, I think I did well as a reset handler and have never been so patient with the disc. Plenty of work to do but dang. It was a good day.

Gunx Love.

No comments: