Saturday, February 15, 2014

Howe

Winter league cancelled again this past week, and with more snow coming Sunday we'll be lucky to play next. We did play two weeks ago in the fresh snow, and that was awesome. Friction gloves are the truth, any doubt I had about their sizing or usefulness were assauged as soon as I threw with them in the snow for the first time. It was not warm out. My throws were fine.

It is definitely an adjustment, throws stay truer to the angle of release due to the increased grip, so your form has to be perfect to do anything fancy. Power throws tend to stay low and flat, which is very useful, but its tougher to throw big hucks with touch. They really punish you for not throwing properly, which will definitely pay off in the long run. The only worry I have is that I will become too dependant on them but that's probably a silly thing to worry about at this juncture.

I just love attacking the breakside wing during zone points. Breaking the cup to your left wing cutter, the wing tends to back off to cover deep and if you break the cup by enough yards you get a good amount of unmarked time. I love it when the wing cutter centers the disc and then the left handler (me, in this case, at this winter league game) runs up the sideline to catch a big reset and just put it right into the endzone. With proper timing you can take out a zone in four or five throws that way without hucking. Sure its easier at winter league, but we scored on Ironside that way too.

Snow ultimate is still fun. Snow cancellations still suck. Etc etc. Want to play so bad. On the upside, been throwing every day, even if its just touches with myself (yeahhh) on the way home from work. Get your hands comfortable in the cold, all.

No comments: