Sunday, August 9, 2009

Rec Finals

Rec Finals baby!

Arrived at the fields an hour before the game. By quarter after nine, Blue had a full squad with maybe even subs while most teams had barely mustered enough to throw around. We were ready.

First game against Red. They score some points, we score more, bingo bango, we win. They could not hang with us on defense, and we stopped them a lot.

Second game against Gold. We trade for the first six points, then they pull ahead to take half 8 - 6. We got fired up at halftime and resolve to run harder with the idea of making finals. They score just out of half to make it 9 - 6 on a crazy marathon point that lasted for probably close to ten minutes, and on a hot day playing zone that's saying something. After that point we brought in fresh legs, boom, score, boom break, boom break, boom boom suddenly we're up 11 to 9. Gold managed to tie it at 12 - 12, and then we scored three straight for the crazy win. Everyone played really hard and we really showcased our speed and grit.

Apparently we used it all up though, because we came out flat against Moss in the finals and eventually lost something like 15 - 5. Brutal. Second place ain't so bad though. Moss played a very low error game and we did not run hard. Simple math.

All things considered, we had a great season, with only two losses and a lot of fun had.
I learned a lot playing rec this year and am very glad I signed up. Firstly, playing with my bro is awesome. I'm very proud of him for stepping up and his game has improved a lot this summer.

I learned a lot about being able to switch from a handler mindset to a cutter mindset and back again as many times as neccesary during a game. That transition was something I often mentally had a problem with but now I feel a lot more confident in both positions. Kyle told me after finals I need to high point and box people out even more. That and jumping higher would go a long way, I'll work on it.

The trick for both positions is to never sit idle, really. Cut.

Another thing I learned from Kyle is that you can be quiet and be a good captain, you can be spirited without loud cheering. His captaining style is so different from mine and it was very interesting to watch him work. He is a great captain and worked as hard to teach everyone as much as possible and make sure everyone had fun.

Go Blue Fruit Chew!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Standard tournament report. Good work.

The primary job of a captain on game days is to make everyone play better than they think they can. Make sure that everything you do from your time-out huddles to your demeanor on the sideline accomplishes your goal as a captain.

GUNX Ben said...

That's what I tried to do at rec finals, encourage everyone and provide constructive advice when warrented. I tried to do so without seeming like I was trying to run the team and hopefully I suceeded.