Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What motivates you?

To be honest, last weekend was kind of a downer.

It was fun and all, but certain factors made it the kind of weekend that leads me to question the time and effort I put into the sport. Nothing wrong with that, it happens fairly regularly to be honest. But every time it does I need some serious soul searching, or some serious fun.

Fortunately, my friends are awesome. And a lot of my awesome friends are also my teammates.

After a disappointing lift (been too long since I've been to the gym, apparently) I went to hang out with some friends. We watched a movie and then I went to throw with our other D line captain. We went out to the quad and lo and behold, three other Gunx, freshmen on the team, were out there with a disc. It is relevant to note that it was about eleven pm and cold and windy. That's dedication! Always great to see in the team, particularly the new recruits. We threw with them for a while and then went our separate ways.

An hour or so later we met up with the same three freshmen and decided to take a walk around the gunk. Somehow I had the bright idea to attempt a cross-gunk backhand huck, something I've wanted to try for a while. Well, the throw went up and it looked good, real high, great angle, until the wind picked up mid flight and caused it to float gently down into the water. A good distance across I should add. Maybe 2/3? Anyway, we went to look for it and eventually spied it midway across the lake. The wind was intense, and sure enough was blowing the disc to shore, so we waited in the cold for it to reach us. It took what felt like a long time then but was probably only about fifteen minutes.

So now I'm back writing about it, and you may be wondering, why? Well it may sound goofy as hell on paper (er, on the interwebs?) but it was fun. Yes, fun hanging around a lake in the freezing cold with some teammates, cheering as a small circular piece of plastic floated slowly to shore. And you know what? I've found my motivation again.

No comments: